‎"We (Asian Americans) have to stop being so fucking polite!" - Asian American dreams: the emergence of an American people, by Helen Zia

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Staten Island Archery Practice 5/20 & 5/27

Sunday, May 20th is a BEAUTIFUL day. The sun is shining and the sky is that perfect summer time blue and after the messy weather of the previous day I'm more than ready for a day outside in the sunshine! So off I venture to Staten Island. More Mapquest directions... At least this time I manage to find the Bayonne Bridge BEFORE I get to Newark Airport. Sigh... Long story. Nicole, Leonora, and Chinua are already there. I haul my stuff out of the car and join them. I am slowly learning the jargon of archery... Hmm... this could be interesting or not. OUCH! the bowstring just snapped the inside of my arm. Ok imagine the a GIGANTIC rubber band snapping the inside of your elbow. Then imagine walking around for a couple of weeks with a monster bruise on your arm, that turns an entire rainbow of colors before finally fading away. Imagine having to explain to everyone the REASON why you have a gigantic bruise on your arm... Sigh... Of course, I don't manage to hit the target... Not even grazed... How pathetic. We are joined later by Puppy, Mendee, and Wolfie. Later followed by Firebow(?) and the guy in the red armor from the previous day's demo. Why can't I remember his name?

Anyway everyone takes turns shooting. I've managed to haul along some food leftover from the Owl's Head demo including a watermelon which I think Leonora ate most of... Poor Mendee is sick, but she still takes Wolfie to the hardware store. We have a great time hanging out and talking, before we depart for home. A great time is had by all.

Sunday the 27th is also a bright sunny day. And once again I decide to head out to Staten Island while I still have a car! More food is consumed and more arrows are shot. Frederich and Lilie trek from City Island so that Frederich can bag his limit in native Staten Island... um...

Yes... He valiantly vanquished a gatorade bottle! Hmm... It looks like he may take that home and have it stuffed and mounted! :) Silliness abounded as usual. Then we settled down for a impromptu Memorial Day BBQ. After biding everyone farewell. We head off to home to enjoy the next day off.

I've managed to burn my nose again. sigh... Oh well. I have the next week off! Yay!

No comments: