‎"We (Asian Americans) have to stop being so fucking polite!" - Asian American dreams: the emergence of an American people, by Helen Zia

Monday, March 5, 2012

Attempting to Measure Angle of Twist

So Thora said I should measure angle of twist for the single.  Due to the color and width of the yarn I can't SEE the twist even with a magnifying glass. So I pull out my microscope.  I can see the twist, but I measure it with a protractor.  This is of course when I drop the silly thing and take out the light.  While I was attempting to take the microscope apart in the hopes of jiggling the light to make it light up the little switch popped off and now I can't find it.  Microscope broken. :( Oh well.  I just ordered a new one from Amazon along with a linen tester.  Hopefully, I will be more successful in a second attempt.

Just out of curiosity I did some math based on the Bellwether's estimates.  So a 66 wpi 2 ply * 3/2 is approximately a 99 wpi 1 ply.  Aside from the fact that I'm blind. No wonder I can't see anything besides look! I haz string.

However, I am counting my treadlings.  So for each draft I'm treadling 10x.  Yes it's nuts, but when I check the plied yarn it matches my sample.

I have decided that I'm really not a technical spinner.  This need for consistency and attention to detail is really frustrating.  I just want to spin yarn.

On a happier note, I'm more than halfway done with the second batt.  Once I'm done with this batt I'm going to switch bobbins to make the plying easier.  I really don't think I can or should try to make a center pull ball out of something this fine and prone to tangling and sticking together.  I'm hoping that I can have the sample warped by the end of the month.  But Murphy will have his fun, so somehow I doubt that will happen.

No comments: