‎"We (Asian Americans) have to stop being so fucking polite!" - Asian American dreams: the emergence of an American people, by Helen Zia

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pennsic Recipes 2. hot pot/shabu-shabu/chinese style fondue

Re: recipe - hot pot/shabu-shabu/chinese style fondue - first week

The most important thing is to start with a good broth.

Usually for Chinese style you start with a pork broth. I either use leg or
clavicle bones, whatever is in the store.

At Pennsic, all I could get was beef bones. So I used cut up beef soup bones as
well as boxed beef broth, since I really really didn't want to be simmering hot
broth all day in 90+ degree heat and stupid humidity. I did however cook the
broth for at least 2 hours. And I went with a low salt low fat broth! You add
enough salt with the dipping sauces.

Japanese style uses soup from bonito flakes.

I've also had it with chicken broth. It's really up to you. Vegetable broth
also good. The most important thing is that you start with a tasty broth and
not just salty water.

You can also use chicken or beef boullion. I don't bc I think it's more salt
and chemical flavorings than actual meat. If I start from scratch I still don't
add salt to broth.

I added daikon radish to simmer with the soup after I skimmed it and just let it
simmer.

Once you are ready to serve.

Fill about 1/2 shallow pot with the broth and chunks of radish. They sell shabu
pots both propane and electric. I borrowed Jackie's table top coleman grill.
Not the most ideal setup, but you settle for what you can get at Pennsic and
consider yourself lucky to have something works even half as well! Bring this
back to a simmer. And don't forget that the pot you are using has a lid! hee!

While waiting for it to simmer, lay out the meat and veggies and condiments.

2lbs pork
2lbs beef
2lbs chicken
1 pack of assorted fish balls

1 pack of fish balls stuffed with pork (these seem like the favorites) stuffed
eyeballs anyone? :) Fujian style fish balls.

2lbs of WASHED and picked over baby Shanghai bok choy. The stuff Pao used in
his steamed dish was regular bok choy. You can tell the difference bc his stems
were snow white and the leaves a dark green. Shanghai bok choy has light green
steams and the leaves are a paler green than the regular bok choy. It's a
matter of personal preference and market availability.

2lbs of WASHED and picked over baby yu choy. It looks a little like Chinese
broccoli, but more leafy. I think it's some kind of mustard green.

Napa cabbage in about 2inch wide strips. Basically, I peeled off enough leaves
so I would use up the remainder for dumplings latter in the week.

Usually, my dad will have sushi quality fish filets cut into about 2 inches
square and raw shrimp (usually the $5.99 or $6.99/lb size in Chinatown, but
probably way more expensive now). Since I didn't want to poison my guests. I
left out the seafood. You can also do clams and other shellfish. Again I
recommend this in a more controlled setting, unless you are throwing them in
live.

Bean vermicelli soaked in cold water or rice cakes. These are usually tossed in
at the end to soak up the yummy broth. Or some other type of noodle. I didn't
do this since I was counting on using the soup the next day for dinner. And
even though I didn't refridgerate the soup. I did start simmering it most of
the following day once the temperature started rising to kill off any bacteria.

Condiments.
1 raw egg per guest.
Chinese BBQ Sa tea sauce - Chinese style fish sauce.
soy sauce
sesame oil
chili sauce - I used a Vietnamese garlic and chili sauce this time.
hoisin
oyster
vinegar etc etc
Basically i was using this as a chance for people to taste and experiment with
various Asian style condiments.
Large shabu shabu restaurants offer a condiment bar with even more choices. And
some will offer shredded ginger, scallions, and minced garlic. But that's just
too much work for me! :) As well as chopped chili peppers.

The style of hot pot I grew up with.
You crack and scramble an egg into your bowl and then season it with condiments.
I prefer a couple of spoonfuls of Satea sauce, some soy and sesame oil all
scrambled together. The raw egg in the dipping sauce cooks when the hot meat is
placed in the bowl, cooling the meat/veggie enough to eat. Mendee added lots of
chili sauce to hers, which people seemed to enjoy a lot. I'm not that brave :)

I give people the option of egg or no egg depending on how they feel about
salmonella. Basically eat at your own risk.

Usually people sit around the pot of boiling water and dip in their food item
until cooked to taste and then eat it. It's a fun, social form of meals.

At the end, soup is ladled into your personal bowl of remaining dipping sauce
mixed around and drunk like soup.

FYI, this is usually a winter meal, bc you are sitting in front of a heat
source.

But I thought it would make a fun Pennsic meal. And the soup at the end is
really yummy from all the meat and other stuff that's been cooked with it.

Safety precautions.

NO horsing around the hot pot. It might tip over and pour boiling water on
people. I won't do this when there are small children around, unless their
parents serve hot pot at home, so they know the rules.

Make sure you dip the tips of your chopsticks into the simmering pot for a few
seconds after handling raw meat with them!!! Especially important at Pennsic!

Basically make sure all your guests are old enough so that if they do themselves
injury through stupidity you can scream and upbraid them as you haul them off to
the chirugeon/emergency room.

No comments: