‎"We (Asian Americans) have to stop being so fucking polite!" - Asian American dreams: the emergence of an American people, by Helen Zia

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pennsic Recipes 3. hot pot soup morphs into garbage soup the next day

Re: recipe - hot pot soup morphs into garbage soup the next day - first week

The next day I brought the soup up to a boil and skimmed off a couple of bowls
worth of ick.

Sorry Brad and Mendee, I didn't not realize you wanted to eat blood scum.

Dropped in good sized chunk of ginger. I chopped up all the cooked leftover
meat from the night before and and threw that in pot as well.

Once it started boiling I threw in a bag of dried reconstituted shitake
mushrooms cut into quarters, as well as the remaining napa cabbage and the king
mushroom leftover from the day before. Then a bag of sliced korean style rice
cakes. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I had sliced king mushroom as part of the
hot pot. I julienned them for the garbage soup.

Once it started boiling again. I dropped in tablespoons full of the meat
mixture. They were supposed to be meat balls but I didn't add bread crumbs for
a better binder. Nor did I mix it well enough with my hands, so the meat could
be it's own binder.

I took Mendee's 1lb of ground meat? Beef?
mixed it with eggs I can't remember how many, whatever I had leftover.
minced onions
minced scallions
and soy sauce and rice wine and pepper.
There may have been other stuff in the meatballs.

I washed and cleaned 2lbs of yu choy.

I let everything simmer to be happy.

Just before serving I dumped in the baby yu choy. Stirred it around and brought
it to a boil again. This way the greens stayed nice and crisp.

Garbage soup done. I also set out some condiments so people could season to
taste. I used oyster sauce and sesame oil for mine.

Fortunately, most of it got eaten, so we did not end up with the scary pot of
eternal soup. :) Although I suppose if you keep taking out more than half the
pot at a sitting and adding more fresh ingredients and keep it simmering, you
could manage not to kill your friends and family... I'm NOT trying it! :)

Anyway, this is my way of making sure I got plenty of greens and eating healthy
at Pennsic. Not to mention discovering that more and more people were expected
for dinner that night or at least were going to be showing up late at night
and might want a midnight snack before unpacking! How does one stretch 1 lb of
meat to feed about 10 people? Keep adding aromatic fillers to the meat. MORE
ONIONS! Throw more mushrooms in the soup! It's chewy, people will think they
are eating meat! Throw in more noodle type food!

No comments: