‎"We (Asian Americans) have to stop being so fucking polite!" - Asian American dreams: the emergence of an American people, by Helen Zia

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Words


This is an essay that I wrote my senior year in HS.  It was also published in the Asian American students' magazine in college.  I keep it around to remind me why keeping silent and ignoring a problem will not make it go away, especially racism.  Some things that happened recently made me realize it was time to dredge it up again.  20 years to the day almost since I first wrote this.  Does the world ever change?  I hope so.  At least I know I have friends and there are good people out there.

Words

The first person ever to say, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!” was either a complete imbecile, or trying to him or herself that hateful, hurtful taunts weren’t as bad as they seemed.  I should know, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve flung those words back at someone to hide my own pain, to show them and convince myself that I didn’t care.

The first time I remember hearing that was in kindergarten.  Two of my fellow kindergarteners were fighting and calling each other names, like stupid, ugly, etc.  They were the best of friends.  Inevitably, one said to the other in a singsong voice, “Sticks and stones…” The next time I remember hearing it was from a teacher.  Teachers should know better, shouldn’t they?  Mrs. Weinstein, my third grade teacher, told me that.  It wasn’t in response to the usual name-calling, which eight and nine year olds indulged in, but to a racial slur.

*   *   *
The class was all lined up in two files, boys on the left and girls on the right, with about a foot of space between the two files.  We took up about half the hallway.  I remember running my hands along the pale yellow bricks, separated by dark grey cement.  The bricks were about a foot in length a half a foot in width.  The square beige tiles with white dashes reflected form the fluorescent lights above.  The sunlight streaming through the window just a few yards down the hall, casting up such a glare that you barely look at it.  I can still see the picture vividly in my mind, class 3-117 waiting on line from the bathroom.  Mrs. Weinstein took us twice a day.

I had just come out of the bathroom and got on the back of the line, right behind Jamele.  No one really knew her that well, except that she had gotten left back.  She was loud and always arguing wit the teacher.  At this time, she was talking to the girl in front of her, which was just fine with me. I was waiting for my best friend, Sandy, to come out of the bathroom.  She came out a few moments later and we started talking.  So it was much to my surprise when Jamele turned around and called me a “chink.”

I looked up at her dumbfounded and failed to find anything intelligent to say.  “What in the world is a chink?”  I thought blankly.  I could tell it was an insult from her tone and expression, but that was all.  Not knowing what else to do, I turned back and continued my conversation with Sandy.  Another sterling piece of wisdom bestowed upon me by my all-knowing elders.  “If people make fun of you, ignore them.  They’ll leave you along if you don’t give them the satisfaction of reacting.”  Whoever thought that up obviously didn’t know that’s precisely the wrong way to deal with racism.

Jamele continued taunting me until we returned to class.  I spent the rest of the day trying to avoid her and trying to figure out why she was calling me names.  When I got home that day I told my mother what had happened and asked her why.

She looked surprised, “tell her to stop,” she said.  “And if she doesn’t stop, just ignore it.”

“All right,” I answered, doubtfully.

The next day at school I followed my mother’s sage advice.  It didn’t work, as a matter of fact it got worse.  She used to make fun of my eyes and appearance in general.  It got to the point where I couldn’t bear going to school.  So I told my mother that her advice wasn’t working.  This time my father was with her.  He told her to give her a taste of her own medicine, and tell the teacher.  Mom started arguing with him about how two wrongs don’t make a right.

The following day, Jamele started calling me names again.  So I decided to try out my father’s advice, the part about telling the teacher, anyway.  Seeing that my parents didn’t quite agree about me calling Jamele a “nigger.”  Mrs. Weinstein in her unfailing wisdom told Jamele to stop in a bored tone.  Predictably she didn’t.  Again I appealed to higher authority.  Only to be told by Mrs. Weinstein, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”  In other words, “don’t make such big deal about nothing.”
Afterwards not knowing what else to do, I kept everything to myself, coming to the conclusion – perhaps incorrectly – that there wasn’t anything else I could do.  Not realizing that Jamele was going to make the rest of elementary school a nightmare.
 *   *   *
Looking back now, I realize this was the point where my naïve notions of the innate fairness of the world received a large dent, along with my faith in the infallibility of my elders.  Perhaps I should have made a bigger fuss.  Who knows?  Perhaps the one who was hurt the most by the whole incident was my tormentor.  The only thing she learned was that it’s all right to be a bigot.


Michele Chang
February 14, 1992

No comments: